Wednesday, January 26, 2011

IUI...Check!

After all those damn shots....I can finally stop! I am at work so I have no idea where I left off at (because we can't pull the blogs up at work but I figured out how to post) Friday and Saturday we did a "mini hcg" this helped prevent the little follies from growing but was too weak to keep the big ones from stopping. Sunday night was the BIG trigger and as of today (Wednesday) I still have a large red lump on my tummy from where it just sat! It was so painful Monday but started feeling better yesterday...YUCK! I really hope I never have to do these shots again!

Tuesday 1-25-11
Tuesday was the big IUI - "Intrauterine Insemination" They took Lee's little swimmers and as my friend Hallie likes to explain it they "Turkey Basted" them inside me. The procedure took about 5 minutes and I laid there for 10 minutes afterward. Remember in the beginning when I said I may give out a little Too Much Info...this is one of those stories. To complete an IUI they first take a speculum like you would for a pap smear and crank her open. They then take a catheter and suck Lee's sperm out of the tube and shove it inside my cervix. The catheter is smaller than a straw but hurts when they stick it in your cervix since your cervix opening is barely the size of thick sewing needle.  As soon as the spermies are implanted safe and sound she took the catheter out and then....THE PLUG! She took a round sponge covered in a little plastic bag (It looked like one of those little plastic favor bags you hand out at a birthday party) with a long string attached and shoved her inside. Try walking around with that inside of you for 4 hours. I guess it's too keep them all swimming in high places hahaha!

As far as how many sperm were participating in this procedure...296 million! Lee's initial sperm count was over 1 billion. The average is 60 million. Even after they washed and only took out the good sperms he still had above average count. Yes he is very proud and I still have not heard the end of it. So 296 million of his best swimmers are traveling inside me as we speak.

Now is the 2 week waiting period. There is a certain day I can test on but certain days I cannot test before. No one not even my husband knows the date I am going to test on. I want this to be a surprise. They way I have been picturing in my head for the last 16 months. And if it happens to be a negative result I do not want everyone calling asking what the result is when I am sure I will need some time to cope. It has only been 24 hours and I am already ready to test! So anxious but I am going to wait...this is the most intense experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment